2022 was magical for the CT indoor athletes in so many ways. Back when the action all began in early December, if a poll had been taken to guess how many state records would be broken during the season and the choices had been: 0, 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10+, how many picks would there have been for the last one -- the correct one?
The records were set by a trio of magic-making athletes -- Gary Moore Jr., Alanna Smith, Gavin Sherry -- and five were laid down in a Nationals setting. That all provided a fitting ending to a year when CT athletes battled explosively in and out of state to take 11 of the 26 titles at the New England championship and also raised the big trophies for two Nationals triumphs.
State Record Recap
CT state records started falling at the Hispanic Games in mid January when Gavin Sherry broke the mile mark and Gary Moore Jr snapped the weight throw mark. But in a year where things just kept getting better and better, neither mark would last until the end of the season. Moore also had his eyes set on a 53-year-old record in the shot put, and that ends up being the one that finishes the season as the oldest of the eleven final trailblazing SR marks for 2022.
- 2-12-2022 -- Boys shot put. Gary Moore Jr. tosses a 64-1.25 throw in the Class L championship.
- 2-19-2022 -- Boys 1600m. Gavin Sherry posts a 4:11.19 to break the official mark at the 1600m distance.
- 3-1-2022 -- Girls 55m. Alanna Smith posts a 6.96 to claim the sprint mark at Eastern States.
- 3-1-2022 - Girls 200m. Alanna Smith adds the 200m record at Eastern States with a 24.31 for the win.
- 3-5-2022 - Girls 300m. Alanna Smith is still on a roll at the New England championship and ties the state record of 38.22.
- 3-11-2022 - Boys 3000m. Gavin Sherry posted an 8:15.93 mark while en route in the 2 mile at New Balance Indoor Nationals, about 13 seconds better than the mark for a time set in an official 3000m.
- 3-11-2022 - Boys 2 Mile. Gavin Sherry gets the win at NBIN with a state record 8:48.59
- 3-12-2022 - Boys Weight Throw. Gary Moore Jr breaks his own WT mark with a 73-8 mark for a 4th at NBIN.
- 3-12-2022 - Girls 60m. Alanna Smith sprints to an 8.53 time while placing 8th in the NBIN prelims.
- 3-13-2022 - Boys 1500m. The officially recorded time en route during the NBIN mile for Gavin Sherry is 3:46.74, more than 10 seconds faster than the SR time for an official 1500m race.
- 3-13-2022 - Boys mile. Gavin Sherry is less than a half second behind the winner at NBIN with a 4th at 4:02.69.
National Championship Recap
The two top distance runners in CT picked up national championship crowns. Rachel St. Germain took the 5000m crown on March 11th at Nike Indoor Nationals while setting a record for the Ocean Breeze facility at 16:59.44. She would also pick up the silver in the 2 mile the next day. As noted above, Gavin Sherry pulled in the 2 mile title at NBIN while setting a state record.
More Top National Championship Performances
Besides the two National titles in Championship races, there were many high placements from other athletes in other events, including in the Rising Stars\Emerging Elite class and Freshman division. And though athletes dream of the gold, if you get the silver as did Callum Sherry in the 2 mile, you're flying in very high (and in his case, very close) company.
Girls Nationals Recap